Palo Escrito back& sides

Palo Escrito back& sides
2014 April Palo Escrito flamenca

Monday, February 28, 2011

Doing time, doing fret work


Doing a re-fret on a mando. That's me!

I learned to get my fret work together by working for Stewart Port, repair man extraordinaire.

I've known Stewie, as he is fondly called by the other gutiar makers, for about fifteen years. One of the best things he taught me was the technique of filing. Files are an essential tool for guitar making and repair work and like any activity whether it be athletic or artistic there is technique to be learned.

If you look at my left hand thumb you can see that I am putting pressure on the file an guiding it while giving it motion and pushing with the right hand. Files cut in one direction, and it's essential to attune your ear to listen to how the file is cutting, deep or shallow, fast or slow. You use the senses of hearing, vision and touch to use tools. I'm really thankful I studied with and associate with Stewart because he is a talented repair man and a stickler for developing good technique in shop work.

I have some pictures from projects going on in his shop and I'll write more in depth about Stewart Port and what he does real soon.

1 comment:

  1. i need more blog like that similar blog and website i have also similar websiote i have want to read so click here nitrile surgical gloves

    ReplyDelete